Race for space (2d65b74e)

Thats true, but the spawn point and the map is also important.

for map, I think pangaea is best

I love the idea, of a science game. Back in Civ4 we used to play OCC always peace games with science victory only and on mirror maps to avoid warring leading to more cities and more science.

In a normal game usually expanding through war will beat peaceful science approach but lets see.

In terms of civs I prefer to choose. In terms of maps, I like lakes personally and also inland sea is one I like with more space than usual for expansion.

Yes, thereā€™s quite a lot to decide:

First of all: With or without (satic) BBG?
Although i was first against BBG, for this scenario (with more than 1 or 2 civs) it could be usefull, as long as weā€™re playing here without bans But Iā€™m surprised, that some here seem to share my general doubts about BBG

Second (away from the 2 formulated ideas), there are a few options, how to play: All the same leader, select 1 out of 2 leaders, select out of a list (similar to mine above) or maybe free choice out of all leaders (with restriction to sience-victory)? XX

Third: If weā€™re only playing with 1 or 2 leaders: should every victory except score be allowed or only science victory?
Here iā€™m clearly for only science victory possible. On the basic idea with all playing Maya it would be an option, to allow other victories, cause Maya arenā€™t very good on all other paths to victory than science (but one could have tried). If you look at Pachacuti for example, it wouldnā€™t be a ā€œrace for spaceā€ anymore, cause he also performs well on culture, domination and religion.

After that maybe one or 2 other questions have to be decided, but first iā€™ll start votes about this 3.

XX: On the last option for example one could decide, to take Gran Columbia, to conquer many other cities and play as last ā€œbigā€ player for the science victory in late game.
That would be like the initial idea 2, but I donā€™t really like it

• Play without BBG
  • Play with static BBG

0 voters

• Only one leader for all of us
  • Choose between 2 leaders
  • Choose out of a list of science based leaders (but no double leaders)
  • Choos out of all leaders

0 voters

This poll were first accenditally posted on another thread, so I have to talk a little, to post it here without being too similar :rofl:

• Only science victory enabled
  • All victory types (beside score) possible [thatā€™s only a option, if we decide for max. 2 different leaders in the poll above]

0 voters

Note: If weā€™re playing with more than 2 different leaders I think we should play with BBG (even I donā€™t like it), cause otherwise the random order of draw will have a big impact on the chances of winning on this special game.

I have another space race game in CPL that is running for a year now. We have the no surprise war option enabled as well there, something to consider here as well if u want

1 Like

Thatā€™s worth considering.
Also I would disable Hongkong as city-state, cause the 20% production bonus would upset the balance too much.

One vote still open

But o.k., the results seem clear without the 7th votes.

Weā€™ll play

• With 2 leaders
  • Without BBG
  • Only science victory possible

The 5 strongest science-leaders without BBG should imho be

• Yongle
  • Lady Six Sky
  • Seong
  • Seondeok
  • Kublai Khan (Chinese)

Before i start a vote, wich 2 of them you want to play, I ask for your oppinions:

• Is one of them too weak for that list?
  • Or are 1 or 2 maybe much stronger than the rest?
  • Or are there other science-competitive leaders I forgot to list?
  • Or do you want a list with leaders all being a little weaker on science than those (Wu Zetian, Qin (Mandate), Pachacutec, Vizier Saladin)?

Personally I think, Yongle is more science-OP than Lady Six Sky, especially in middle and late game.

I also like Toku and Pericles as strong culture leads to more science. I am not sure about Maya, they seem very map dependent to me.

Yeah, completly forgot Toku. Pericles isnā€™t really a ā€œscienceā€-leaderā€¦?

I would appreciate if you suggest couples of leaders. Couples, that have (without BBG) similar science/space-race power. At the end we could decide, wich couple is the best or wich we like most.

Restriction: Couples musssnā€™t be from the same civ. We decided to play with 2 leaders mainly cause of the color schemes, So Seondeok & Seong (certainly similar power for space race) arenā€™t a possible couple

1 Like

Going to abstain - not really familiar with any of them to suggest.

1. Yongle
  2. Seong

Toku
Yongle