[FIXED] - Substitute Player Authorization

In our long-running games we occasionally have players taking vacations for a couple days up to a week or two. It would be great if there was an easy way to authorize another player to sub in for a couple of turns to keep the game moving. Currently the only method I am aware of for temporary substitution is to share Steam log-in credentials (obviously not ideal) with the person who agrees to play as substitute for a few days.

One method that occurred to me is adding a randomly-generated access code to each player every game … tied to the specific player+game, not the person in general. Somewhere on the game page (maybe add another tab next to Game Stats / Game Details) provide a place to input the access code.

Then I as player X can send the PYDT game link plus the access code to someone (Player Y) who has agreed to cover my turns. Player Y logs in to PYDT in a browser, navigates to the game link, enters the access code, and receives the same download turn and upload buttons that I would have.

I’m no programmer but I’d be happy to sketch up something in Paint if you want a visual of this concept.

I like that idea in general (having a link on the game page that you can give to someone else to take over your spot in the game), but making it temporary would be quite a bit of work. As a first step, I’ll look into being able to permanantly swap out a player (you could always swap back after vacaction). Thanks!

I’ve deployed a V1 of this. Any user with over 500 turns played can go into their user profile and register to be a substitute player. Then, when a user is going to be kicked there’s an option to replace them with one of the replacement players. I was thinking of also doing this for standard surrender as well, but I’d like to see how everything works out with just the kick first because there’d be a lot more opportunities for things to catch on fire with surrender. If everything works smoothly I’ll turn on the surrender support as well in a couple weeks.

1 Like

We would like to substitute in a player in our games, and we know players who want to join. Why do we only get to choose from a small list of registered players that we don’t know? It would be great to choose your substitute! :slight_smile: