[FIXED] Client requirements/default directories

Hi - thanks for a great service, PBEM is something that’s been sorely lacking since Civ IV.

I’m having trouble with the Client. It correctly shows who’s turn it is, but it isn’t monitoring the Saves folder. So there is no auto upload after a turn, or download before.

My first guess is it’s a missing requirement for the Client - does it require the Chrome browser to be installed for example?

Second guess is that it’s to do with default directories. I’ve changed my default ‘Documents’ folder on Win10 to a different drive, so was wondering if that could be breaking the process?

Any tips or advice appreciated! Thanks.

(This isn’t really a feature request, but this seemed the best place to put it)

The app is self-contained, there shouldn’t be any missing requirements. It could definitely be the default directory issue, but we ask the OS for the My Documents folder location, so I’m not sure why it would be giving you the wrong location.

If you click on Debug/Toggle Developer Tools (and expand the window so you can see everything), click on the Console tab in there, are there a bunch of errors when you play a turn? Does it actually download the file, just not put it in the right place? Look on your C drive, and see if there’s a My Documents tree there where PYDT has been putting the save. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. The console shows an error on load:

file:///C:/Users/awnm/AppData/Local/playyourdamnturn/app-1.1.14/resources/app.asar/null 
Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

(That directory and the app.asar file do exist.)

If I download a turn via the website, the client doesn’t change, nor when I save the turn. So it does seem like it’s not finding the directory.

The C: drive does have a C:\Users\awnm\Documents folder, but it’s empty. I assume that was created on Windows install before I moved the location to D:\Documents

The save location for the game is D:\Documents\my games\Sid Meier’s Civilization VI\Saves\Hotseat

I checked the CMD prompt ‘set’ command and couldn’t see a ‘Documents’ directory set so maybe that’s the problem, but Windows Explorer definitely knows where it is. I tried setting a ‘Documents’ variable to D:\Documents, but it hasn’t helped.

Thanks for your help! I can happily play via the web, just would be nice to get the client working (and solving this may help others too I guess).

Are there any additional errors that show up after the turn download? The /null error shows up all the time for everyone, and I haven’t figured out why yet. I don’t see any documents directory on my machine when I do the set command, either, but try this command and let me know what it spits out:

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v personal

Also, I could make you a custom build to troubleshoot, PM me if you’re interested, thanks!

No, no other errors. The Client just sits there doing not much by the looks. It does move to the next player when I submit via the website. Very strange. The client doesn’t have any buttons to upload/download (or the big ‘PYDT’ button like in your home page screenshot), if there are meant to be any.

Here’s the output:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    personal    REG_SZ    D:\Documents

Happy to try a custom build, but not if it’s a lot of work for you! Will PM you. Thanks again for your help.

Marking as fixed - a token refresh got things working for awnm, but we never really figured out what was happening. :confused: