[CLOSED] Turn 80 save game causes crash

Hi,

I’m in a game and it seems the save file has become corrpted or too bloated to be able to continue playing. We’ve noticed the save file has been growing every turn and is now ~59MB and the other player (@adyyc) cannot load the game. We’ve reverted and then replayed a couple of times but it keeps getting stuck.

Have you seen anything like this or is there anything you can do to help? Have you seen this save game bloat elsewhere?(Civ 5 had this problem for ages till someone developed a mod for it). Do you think this is a PYDT issue or just Civ 6? I can post the savefile if you want to take a look, just let me know where.

Many thanks for any help / advice you can share.

I’m in a game where the file is >100mb and others are 60-80mb as well without any problems.

Yeah, it seems like the save files are getting bigger and bigger with every patch, even on fresh games. :frowning: I’d be glad to take a look at the file, but if Civ can’t load it I’m not sure there’s much I can do.

I think there should be some way to remove the bloat because these save files are compressing so well (60MB -> less than 2 MB), but I haven’t really taken a deep look at it yet. Does anyone have an example of how Civ 5 did it? The save files are similar in some ways.

Thanks. Yeah, I have been able to load and play the file but my opponent is not. Could be some system requirements thing due to the bloat … or not. Equally I’m on Win10 and he’s on Linux. Not sure if that’s related either.

The problem he’s having is with the savefile for this game: https://www.playyourdamnturn.com/game/8036b424-e892-4555-83d3-ed03eab8cc69

Would appreciate any help or insight you can you bring.

I’d think it’s almost definitely because he’s on Linux, the newest patch was only a week or so ago, and I doubt it’s made it to Linux yet. If you try to open a save from a future patch level on a machine without the patch, you’ll get the behavior you describe.

Aah … interesting! OK, so if we try again after the patch hits Linux, you think it should start working again?

Let’s try that.

Thanks!

Actually sorry, I got confused - he’s on Windows with 32GB of RAM, which is more than me. He can load and play the turn and it crashes on saving. Any other thoughts?

I’m not sure there’s anything I can do about crashing on saving. :frowning: