League testing game 2 (5d829ed1)

From the available options, I like the most Nubia.

I’m not in, but if would need to choose, would take Mapuche as Nubia is already taken, and Aleks has better time/turn, so would beat me on that. In general with these conditions slow players like me would get worse starting positions , though nobody knows what is nearby…
Though IMHO shuffle gives too much land, restricting use of navy

I’m going to pass on this one, which is very unusual for me. I’m heavily involved in the Super Typhoon Yutu recovery operations in Guam/Saipan which has reduced my turn time from about 2 1/2 hours to 14 hours. I don’t want to slow down the game. Please keep me in mind for the next one though if you start a new one.

I’ll try vikings, or don’t mind poland.

kilpa, thanks for the input -
concerning the map: we found that 4 player maps with fractal tend to be too short on land and often two players spawn very close to each other. What is your suggestion for map selection?

I am currently thinking about going up to 6 player maps (fractal or shuffle to be discussed). If it is shuffle we need to define some other map creation restrictions like everybody needs to be connected through shallow water in my opinion

• mike is looking into things currently - its not yet clear whether we can do this league thing or not

concerning the CIV picking order: any other ideas or suggestions on how to determine who got first/second pick… ?

not sure if there will be some table for ranks in league, but if there is one, every player could get some number which is corrected after every game. Example: 1st to choose gets 1, 2nd gets 1/2; 3rd 1/3, 4th 1/4. Then for second game 4th would have 0.25 =smallest number and has the right to choose 1st. For new players it would be beneficial cause their number will be 0, but they seem to have less experience in league so would say its ok.
The only problem is, that this number must be stored somewhere.
Im not expert on customizing maps, but what if to make island plates with high sea level, so that no players meet each other on same island?

thats an interesting idea, it would disfavour players who play a lot of games as the number keeps getting higher and higher - or would you could deduct
0.5 = (1+0.5+0.25+0.333)/2 for each game played in order make it more “average”
Lets see where this is going, we might later ask mike whether something like this is possible…
why dont you upload a map with island plates and high sea, I would love to join.

ok game is on, have fun!

if somebody is interested: I have composed a CIV 6 guide here:

Hey, bye bye to me. Sorry for such a crappy performance, didnt expect so big amount of horses :slight_smile: not sure if i left for you more space you would not push me anyway…
And thanks for a guide easyzivi, already using some advises, especially waiting for a new patch with canals etc…

hey kilpa, gg
sorry for kicking you out so early. You did not perform crappy, its me having horses and you did not. I reckon the Iron pillage helped on top. Thanks for the game! what about you set one up and take revenge?

i like yr challenge, but right now i want to reduce my time with life dumping time like games, so have now 5 games, when will have 3, will set up. will not make shuffle or this other(have 2 beers now) too much land. islands or continents or archipelagos, will call you join

Good object lesson for me.

Wanted to say congratulations before I soon lose the link.

Good luck guys.

I am afraid, despite the local success, I will also soon have to Congratulate the Poles - their advantage is too great …

thanks guys,
yes I think Poland is hard to stop by now, upgrading to 5 cavalry corps next turn and threatening religious victory quite quickly too.
Aleks well played to go for invasion at this stage, it was the only way you could potentially still catch me up and definitely worth the try.

Its so hard to catch up if somebody takes a neighbours capital very early… Especially on a map like this were it was virtually two continents…
I am now thinking about going back to pangea style maps - at least you can react more quickly by ganging up against the leader.

I see no reason to continue - the advantage of Poland is undeniable. Congratulations easyzivi with a victory! Everyone - thanks for the game!
I would love to try to take revenge, but only at medium speed. I believe that online speed is invented for online games, and for PYDT-games the average speed is better suited. In my opinion, at medium speed, the game is better balanced (it seems that it was for this speed that the developers balanced the game).

Thanks
I would love another game, will you set one up? average speed? do you mean standard speed? isnt that too slow for asynchronous play? I have never done a game on standard speed for MP, I have with quick speed and that felt ok

I wasn’t in this game but to answer your question about game speed…

I play almost exclusively on standard speed. It is not too slow for asynchronous play assuming everybody takes their turns at least once a day. Most multiplayer games at standard speed take between 150-250 turns. Of course, this all depends on experience of the players, may size, map style, etc… So it will take about 6-9 months to play a game at one turn each day.

I do not care for online speed or quick speed. It throws my timing off.

I fully agree with the opinion of DogBoy511, and also note once again that the standard speed is the most balanced. Although even on it, the balance of the game is shifted in favor of military decisions, at faster speeds the situation is even worse - a military victory does not just have no alternative, and the other aspects of the game greatly lose their meaning.